Frank J. Kitzerow, Jr., a veteran police officer who led the Jupiter Police Department for nearly 13 years and whose distinguished career in law enforcement spans more than 35 years, was selected as Chief of Police of the School District of Palm Beach County in June, 2018.
During his tenure as Chief of Police for the Town of Jupiter, Chief Kitzerow helped improve collaboration and communication for law enforcement agencies throughout Palm Beach County. He championed a regional consortium of 25 law enforcement agencies than shared information and intelligence, and pushed for a regional emergency communications center that would improve responses between agencies during critical events.
“We are extremely fortunate to have someone with Chief Kitzerow’s breadth and depth of experience to lead our School District Police Department,” said Dr. Donald E. Fennoy II, Palm Beach County Schools Superintendent. “Chief Kitzerow has built his career by working with multiple local, state and federal agencies, and that knowledge will only benefit our students, teachers and staff in Palm Beach County.”
Prior to coming to Palm Beach County, Chief Kitzerow worked as a police chief and officer in Virginia, serving most of his career with the Fairfax County Police Department.
In his 25 years with Fairfax County Police, Chief Kitzerow established a Regional Intelligence Center in conjunction with the FBI to provide real-time information regarding terrorist threats after the September 11 attacks; organized and commanded a multi-agency task force to investigate and prosecute the Washington, D.C., Beltway Sniper shootings; and directed criminal investigations related to major crimes, organized crimes and narcotics, and money laundering.
Chief Kitzerow also served as Chief of Police for the Portsmouth, Va., Police Department, before he was named Chief of Police for Jupiter in 2005.
During his time in Palm Beach County, Chief Kitzerow has served in a number of leadership roles with law enforcement organizations throughout the state, including:
- Chairman of the Board of Directors for the LEX Data Sharing Project, Palm Beach County;
- Executive Board Member for the Florida Regional Domestic Security Task Force;
- Chairman, Florida Police Chiefs Association Public-Private Partnership Committee;
- Chairman, FDLE Region XII Criminal Justice Advisory Board;
- Immediate Past President of the Florida Police Chiefs Association;
- Chairman of the Board of Directors for the Palm Beach County Regional Criminal Justice Academy;
- Executive Board Member for the Palm Beach County Criminal Justice Commission;
- Past President of the Palm Beach County Police Chiefs Association; and,
- Past Chairman of the Palm Beach County Law Enforcement Planning Council.
Chief Kitzerow’s work in the community has also earned recognition from many community organizations in the county, including:
- Heroes Award, ADL Florida, 2016
- El Sol Legacy Award, 2016
- ASIS Exemplary Leadership Award, 2014
- Town of Jupiter Team Achievement Award, 2012
- ASIS Palm Beach County Police Chief of the Year, 2011
- “Real Heroes” Award, American Red Cross Palm Beach County, 2010
Chief Kitzerow earned a Bachelor’s of Science degree in Management from National Louis University, and a Master’s degree in Public Administration from the University of Phoenix. He graduated from the FBI National Academy in 2000.